On Friday I wrote a joint endorsement of Bobby Jindal for President of the United States with Brian Myers. Those who are watching this race outside of Iowa may think this doesn’t make any sense. Let me share with you five reasons why I decided to caucus for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal in February at the Iowa Caucuses.
- Proven experience. He has a record of cutting government spending, shrinking the size of government, signing good legislation and standing up for values I hold dear.
- I live in Iowa. People keep bringing up national polling with me, and frankly national polling means jack squat. One of the things I love about living in Iowa is that I get to participate in narrowing down the field. People who are underdogs and have little money have a chance here if they resonate with voters and campaign hard. If I lived outside of Iowa and didn’t get to vote later on I probably wouldn’t endorse this early. I would wait and see who gets through Iowa and New Hampshire, but I do live live in Iowa and I believe Jindal has traction in Iowa that those outside of Iowa (or people who don’t show up to his events) can’t see.
- I admire and respect Jindal. Because I live in Iowa and we do get to vote first I’m supporting the candidate that I believe best reflects my values. There are a number of candidates who I can say do. Jindal does and he meets criteria #1. Also, I just like the man. I’ve respected Governor Jindal for years now. My vote for Bobby Jindal is not a protest vote against anybody. I am thrilled to support his candidacy. He is a humble man, he’s a man of character, he’s likable, and he has been accessible to voters.
- He’s campaigning hard in Iowa. Go see point #2, how a candidate campaigns in Iowa is very important to me. He’s spending a lot of time here and Iowans reward candidates who do that, as do I.
- He is a policy wonk. Anyone who reads my stuff at Caffeinated Thoughts on a regular basis know I care more about policy than politics. Jindal even before he announced his candidacy was putting forth policy papers. I really, really like that because I want a candidate who thinks through what they will actually work to accomplish if elected President.
So there you have it. To read more about what I like about Jindal as a candidate be sure to read the endorsement.